December 1, 2012

Chapter 7 God's Gift to Women

  After his evening meal Don Lothario sat awhile.  He was none for cleaning the dishes.
  Why won't Kaylynn come and clean them?  I gave her what she wanted.  I don't understand!  What's that?  From the open window...could it be Kaylynn?  Footsteps in the distance, coming this way, taken so the skirts don't rustle....not like Kaylynn, but maybe if she were hurrying to see me - I mean clean the dishes...
  Don Lothario rushed to the door, then slowed himself way down, so as to look as if he just happened to be stepping outside for some fresh air.  He turned casually to see who doth approach.

  A woman...with a hat on...since when did Kaylynn wear a hat?  Oh.  That isn't Kaylynn.  It's a woman....a dowdy woman.  But still!  It's a woman!  Who am I to look down upon a gift God sends my way.  Or more importantly, may I never forget the gift I am to women!
  "Good evening m'lady."
  "Me?  I'm only a merchant woman...  I mean, Good Evening."
  He watched her discomfort.  No doubt due to his stunning manliness.  Of course he knew she was not of noble blood.
  "A merchant woman?  Really?  I thought you to be a fine lady, being so much finer than the merchant man before you."
  This of course was a blatant lie.  Don Lothario dressed like the king....well King Goth was none for dressing up.  It made Don seem majestic, he was certain.  And this plain woman...he could have mistaken her for a peasant.  Especially with her hair cut horribly short.
  "Thank you...."
  "Lothario," he said in a low purr, "Don Lothario."
  She blushed at his tone....good.
  "And you are?"
  "T-Tara," she stuttered, "Tara Kat....I...I live nearby."
  How had I missed that a merchant woman here in Pleasantview Kingdom?  Princess Cassandra was such a distraction.
  Oh my.  Speaking of distractions...how had I not noticed we are no longer alone?
  "Excuse me Tara Kat."
  "Your Majesty..."
  The king did not balk at his hand being grasped....like an equal.  Sometimes it was good to catch a man off guard.
  "Lothario," then he lowered his voice so only Don could hear, "leaving my daughter at the altar..."
  "Your Majesty, we both know I am not worthy of such a creature."
  "You have that right Lothario."
  "I think I could serve the crown better in other pursuits."
  "You do provide a certain service."
  "I was hoping you might knight me."
  "Really Lothario."
  King Mortimer glowered.
  "Your Highness, I was hoping we could become friends."
  "Friends?" he asked flatly.
  "I know there is nothing I can do to make up for Cassandra's broken heart.  But I fear I was not the right man for her.  Would it have been better to marry her knowing that?"
  "Well...no."
  "I do not like to break a lady's heart....  But I do want to serve the crown."
  "You do serve the crown."
  "By keeping Pleasantview women from going mad?  Well...I suppose I could continue to do that along with knightly duties..."
  "Don Lothario," King Mortimer said sternly, "if you wish to be my knight, you will first have to earn it."
  "I would spend the rest of my days..."
  "Indeed, you very well may spend the rest of your days at the attempt.  Likely you will never make more than a lowly page."
  Mortimer said page as if it were a rat on the heel of his boot.
  "King Goth, even if I never earn the worthy title of page, I do hope in time you will forgive me.  I do wish us to be friends."
  "Time will see if that is a possibility.  Good day Lothario."
  Damn!
  The sky had darkened and somewhere during that time the Kat woman had disappeared.
  Lothario's door creaked behind him.
  "Did you need something?"
  "Oh!  I'm sorry.  I was waiting fer ye...and I needed to set...I should have set outside."
  "No," Lothario soothed.
  The peasant woman stood there with her head hanging down.
  "I'm Don Lothario.  What's your name?" he asked softly.
  "Brandi, Brandi Broke.
  "What ails ye?"
  "Nothin' ails me.  I hear ye be a doctor fer woman folk.  I haven't much to pay ye, but I could use some help when me baby comes."
  She still didn't look at him.
  "Did ye not see the Burb gentleman that was here earlier?"
  "Yes.  He showed me where ye live."
  "But his wife is the midwife."
  "I know, Jennifer will be attending.  But she said that ye help women...after..."
  "Yes, yes I do.  I thought ye meant me to be catching the baby."
  "No!"
  "Well I would if there were no midwife.  I am not heartless."
  Just grateful I don't have to.
  "Jennifer said she wasn't sure what ye do."
  "Don't ye worry about that none.  Jest tell me about your situation."
  "Situation?"
  "Ye have a husband?"
  "Buried."
  "Lover?"
  "No!  This babe be his."
  "Male admirers?"
  "Sort of."
  "Sort of?"
  "I wasn't interested."
  "And did you...accept his affections?"
  "No."
  "Any of his affections?  Hug?  Kiss?  Touching?"
  "What!  What kind of woman ye think I am!?  Jest 'cause I'm a peasant and a widow don't mean I'm a whore or a....a...bad sort of woman!"
  "Hush now," Lothario soothed.  "I only ask that I might see about proper treatment."
   Lothario waited.  Brandi seemed to settle.
  "After a baby a woman can be...down in spirit."
  "Aye, I remember that."
  "So this is not your first?"
  "Third, I have 2 sons."
  "Being down in spirit after a baby can happen to any woman, but it is far worse when a woman hasn't a husband."
  "Jennifer said as much."
  "When her baby is a month or two old I will come and make sure ye lady parts are all working properly.  It's best if I do this for all women before their menfolk...pursue them.  It is even more important for a woman without a husband.  It keeps ye from so much pain, as a doctor knows more.  While my treatments are generally reserved for a woman on the verge of madness...well...after a baby some women are.  It's best to prevent such things."
  "I didn't ken it was all so serious."
  "I'll be around when the time comes."
  "But what will ye do?"
  "I can not tell thee.  What if ye tried to do it yerself to save some copper?  A woman could die to give herself such a treatment."
  "Oh!  I can't be leavin' Dustin to raise Beau and this wee one all on his own.  He don't have no wife yet."
  "Worry yourself not Brandi Broke.  I am well read on the matter.  I know just what to do."
  "Thank ye doc.  Well, I best be on me way.  I left Dustin all alone with his brother.  He surely has other things to do."
  Lothario gave her a winning smile.  She flashed one in return and waddled off toward home.
  Even as a doctor, I am indeed a gift to women everywhere. 

2 comments:

  1. I think you've found the perfect profession for Don. It makes all kinds of sense that he would cook this scheme up and sell it across the kingdom. A true visionary, this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I just couldn't leave Daniel Pleasant as a bigger sleeze than Don Lothario.

    Just to make it worse, he believes every word of it. He has read it in obscure medical books, from the treatments to women could die from it if they tried it themselves. So part of him is like, yes, this is the perfect job, period. The other part of him thinks he is doing something so nice and wonderful...no wonder he thinks he is God's gift to women.

    ReplyDelete