November 30, 2012

Chapter 6 Skip's Last Gift

  Brandi froze.  After a moment she was certain her soft cry had not woken Beau.
  Brandi loosened her belt reluctantly.
  "Is that better?" she cooed to her unborn baby, then she let out a little sigh.
  There would be no more hiding this from Dustin.  She wanted Dustin to have more time to grieve first.  She didn't want him to remember the coming of his youngest sibling tainted by grief.
  "Ma there was a couple men wanderin' by from the Bluewater Kingdom, I invited them to come in for a spell."
  "Dustin!  I thought ye went to work."
  For a moment Dustin was silent.
  She thought for a moment he had noticed the slope of her dress.
  Quietly he said, "This is me day off ma."
  "I'll jest get to cookin' fer all ye."
  "No need ma.  They brought the best food known to peasants."
  "Oh?"
  "Come sit ma, have some pizza."
  Brandi had no idea what pizza was, but decided to not reveal her ignorance before guests.
  "Jason, let me ma sit there."
  "Far be it from me to keep a lady from her seat."
  Brandi might have been charmed if she weren't so hungry.
  Some type of flat bread, cheese and...mmm....sliced sausages.  How long had it been since they had meat?  Dustin was right, best peasant food ever.
  Brandi couldn't be in one spot too long without getting sore.  If it weren't standing it was sitting.  She took another slice and stood while eating.  Halfway through it stopped tasting as good.  She set it on the counter, waiting for the feeling to pass.
  "I don't believe we've been properly introduced?"
  And since when to peasants bother with proper introductions?
  "I'm Brandi Broke, mother of Dustin 'ere, jest a humble peasant woman."
  "I be Jason Larson, peasant man from Bluewater Kingdom, with only a sister back home to keep me company.  Dustin said ye be a widow?  With a little one about the place?"
  "Ma?  Ma are ye increasin'?"
  Dustin was reaching for her belly, and in front of menfolk!
   "Dustin that ain't proper talk in front of company."
  Dustin remembered himself and backed off.
  "Increasin'?  I didn't realize ye took up that type of profession.  If ye are lookin' fer extra work..."
  What?  Dina had asked her if she wanted to, but of course she had turned her down.  Had she been spreading rumors about her?
  "This....the baby in me belly is me husband's."
  "I thought ye were widow...."
  A tear sprung to Bradi's eye.
  "I am a widow.  It's the last gift he left me."
  Embarassment shadowed Jason's face.  He looked set to apologize or explain himself, but Brandi didn't give him the chance.
  She walked quickly to the bedroom she had shared with her husband and - softly closed the door.
  She opened the wardrobe and looked at Skip's clothes, just looked at them.
  Oh Skip, how I do miss ye....

No comments:

Post a Comment