December 7, 2012

Chapter 11 Twisted

  Lord Nervous spied someone outside the castle.  He felt it his duty to see about it.  He hurried outside.
  "Rank?"
  "Excuse me?"
  "Peasant, merchant, noble..."
  "Oh, Royal."
  "Name and title."
  "Lady Natasha Una."
  "Ties to royalty?"
  "I am King Aspir's cousin."
  "Your parentage?"
  "My mother is the sister of the king's mother, a princess.  My father is the son of a gypsy queen.  I mean were...they have both passed on."
  Lord Nervous paused.  If he let the wrong person on the castle grounds he would face the wrath of King and Queen Beaker.
  As kindly as he could he asked, "Does that not make you a peasant?"
  "It would, except, I am the last in the gypsy line."
  Lord Nervous stood there, puzzled.  There was something here he didn't get.
  "So if I choose to, I can take on the title of Gypsy Queen.  I am still royal, even if I were not King Aspir's cousin."
  "Ohhh..."
  "Wait here please."
  Nervous hurried up the stairs.  It never bid well to keep a lady waiting.
  Nervous found King Beaker and bowed low.
  "Rise Lord Nervous," King Beaker commanded.  "Well?  Don't keep me hear waiting Lord Nervous."
  Nervous quavered.
  "Y-Y-Your M-M-Majesty -"
  "On with it Subject!"
  "Lady Natasha Una is standing by the road."
  "You left a lady standing, by the road?"
  "She is cousin of King Aspir."
  "You left a king's cousin by the road?" he growled.
  "S-she is the last in the line of gypsies.  Gypsy royalty, and the queen if she should take the title, which she chooses not to."
  "Stop.  No more.  A gypsy is not worth as much as true royalty."
  "Shall I send her away?"
  "No.  She can eat outside with you."
  "Thank you Your Majesty."
  "And Nervous?  Queen Circe will be home soon.  She will expect dinner to be ready."
  Nervous heard the unspoken words "and so will I".
  "Yes Your Majesty."
  Nervous hurried back out to Lady Natasha.
  "Lady Natasha Una, His Royal Highness King Loki Beaker," Nervous paused for breath, "said you may eat dinner at my table."
  Nervous beamed.  He was so proud of that table outside.  It was so much better then when he ate on the floor instead.
  "And you are?"
  "Pardon me m'lady.  I am Lord Nervous Subject.  Now if you will excuse me, I must see that dinner is properly prepared."
  As he hurried away he heard a small noise from Lady Natasha.  Nervous cringed.  He should have shown her to a place to wait.  It could not be helped.  If he didn't get dinner ready in time there would be hell to pay.  Nervous did not want to find out what hell would be inflicted upon him.
  Nervous prepared dinner as quickly as he could.  He couldn't go too fast.  He must get it right.
  When it was ready he turned around to see King Loki already seated.
  Wordlessly he served the king.
  King beaker glowered at him all the while.  Nervous could feel it.
  He laid out a bowl for Queen Beaker, then lay out a bowl at his table outside.  Then he came back in and set the serving bowl on the counter.
  Oh, I forgot one for Lady Natasha.
  He served up another bowl to take to the outside table.
  In the hallway he saw Lady Natasha approach.
  "Will you show me to your table Lord...Subject."
  "You can call me Lord Nervous."
  "If you...wish.  You may call me Lady Natasha."
  Nervous beamed.
  "Follow me m'lady," he said absently.
  He went outside and placed the bowl on the table, but Lady Natasha stood in the doorway.
  "Is something wrong, m'lady?"
  "Do you have a candle?"
  "No..."
  What would a lord do?
  Nervous rushed over.
  "Here."
  Nervous offered his arm.  Natasha took it hesitantly.
  "There is candlelight from the windows, and the moon is bright tonight."
  Nervous led her to the table and pulled the chair out for her.  She sat daintily upon it.
  "I made kasha."
  "You made this?"
  Oh....lords don't prepare food.
  "Y-yes.  I hope it is too your liking."
  "My father used to make me meals."
  "When the servants had gone home for the day?"
  "We didn't have any.  Gypsies don't have servants."
  "Not even the queen?"
  "No.  But all the gypsies serve the queen, if she so desires."
  Nervous turned his attention to the kasha.
  Nervous noticed Natasha didn't pick up her bowl.  He set his down and copied her.
  "Do you think the king and queen would mind if I stayed over night?"
  "No."
***
  "Who is that woman Loki?"
  "Our subject claims she is the cousin of a king."
  "And she dines with the subject?  Is this another one of your experiments?"
  "No.  She is also gypsy royalty."
  "After dinner, may I bleed her?"
  "Circe, she is the cousin of a king.  Suppose he is fond of her?"
  "I'm not going to kill her.  I never kill them."
  "At least wait until she is sick that you might have the excuse."
  "Must I?"
  "You never asked to bleed the girls who weren't sick before."
  "I think it would work better."
  "We'll think of something."
  "Loki," she said dreamily, "I was beginning to think you'd gone soft."
  "Soft?"
  He rose, then pulled her from her chair.
  "Remember Loki, when you became king?"
  "I slayed King La Strange."
  "And his wife."
  "She was with child.  I couldn't have an heir trying to take back the throne."
  "I missed those days."
  "You mean you miss her blood."
  "Loki, see how it has kept me young?"
  "I hardly think bathing in her blood kept you young."
  Circe gave an offended gasp.
  "You are deliciously young all on your own.  I could just eat you up."
  "Oh Loki," she sighed, "bite harder."

No comments:

Post a Comment