November 15, 2012

Chapter 1 Princess Cassandra's Wedding

  It does not matter that he is a merchant man, Mortimer reminded himself, again.  It matters only that Cassandra wants to marry him - and that she will not be an old maid.  Mostly that she will not be an old maid.  Maybe this is not a good idea.  Of course it is not a good idea.  A father should choose his daughter's husband.  But how could I possibly say no when she asked me with her Bella eyes?  Bella.
  I cannot escape a wedding without thinking of Bella.  As if I could pass a single day without thinking of her.  I told Cassandra not to invite her.  She won't come.  Stolen by fairies she was!  Cassandra disagrees.  She thinks her mother is lost and confused.  She would be an old woman by now.  I see her when I look at Cassandra, but the girl is more like me, keeping to herself, falling in love with the first person to show a flicker of interest.  She will be crushed when her mother does not show.  So will I.
  Mortimer reflected upon his reflection.  He liked the richness of his black clothing.  What Goth didn't?  But if it were not for the crown, one might mistake him for a commoner.  Bah!  A king may wear whatever he desires.
  Cassandra had said, "Father, let us wear color on my wedding day.  It is only for one day."  He could not deny her this simple wish.
  Mortimer sighed.  He would change into other hosen later.  He had best get downstairs to be certain the groom did not try to sample his bride before his wedding.
  See how he wears clothes the same as his king?  Is it for loyalty to the crown?  To attract the eye of the princess?
  Mortimer supposed it mattered not.  Not long from now the man torturing the piano would be his son in law.
***
  Princess Goth wasn't certain which she was more nervous about, her mother or her husband.
  What if she doesn't show?  What if he doesn't show?  What if neither of them shows?  Calm yourself Cassandra.  If mother doesn't show it will be just like any other day.  And Don?
  Who am I to think that Don Lothario would be interested in me?  He could have any woman he wanted, I am certain of it.  But that day...that day he had walked right up to me and said...  What did he say?  I was so startled that any man looked in my direction I could hardly take in the words.  Something about Bella.  Why on earth he thinks I look like mother, I don't know.  It is a compliment though.  Bella is the same as beautiful in Pleasantview Kingdom.  Father says it is because Bella is the most beautiful woman to ever grace the earth.  What had I said to Don that day?  "You might call on me if you wish."
  Oh how foolish I had felt.  Why would he want to call upon me?  And then he did.  One would think it was only to be polite.  After all, I am a princess.  He was not bored like I expected him to be.  It felt as if his eyes never left me...though I was too shy to look.  Even that he turned into a virtue.  Something about not being able to resist the blush of a virtuous woman.  And then - he came back.  Oh he came back!
  Before long Princess Cassandra fell in love.  When he had dared to kiss her upon the lips, she did not resist him.
  This very night, I will wed him.
  Cassandra toyed with the idea of changing into her wedding dress.  She felt more comfortable in her black gown.  She decided not to and went downstairs to read the scroll, again.
  She unrolled it.  Her eyes skimmed over, barely reading the words.  She knew them by heart:  "Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Bella Goth is summoned to Pleasantview Castle..."
  The Goth manor is hardly a castle.  The only thing to make it so is housing a king.  Some would say that is not all that is wrong with he scroll.  Cassandra didn't want to address her mother as Queen.  After being gone so long she lost that, even if she is not at fault.  Though Father would marry her again.  But would he if she didn't want him back?
  Cassandra didn't think for a moment Mother had been stolen by fairies.  Had she run?  Did she not want Father?  Or Alexander?  Or me?
  Father is right, she won't come.  Most likely she is dead.
  At least Lady Mary-Sue will be here.  She is my closest friend, and a little of a mother figure.  Of course she is to young to be my mother...but she has two girls of her own.  She is the only other guest tonight.
  It is a shame really.  I saw all the chairs the servants set out, just in case I change my mind.  Crowds make me nervous.  I really don't want anyone wondering what Don Lothario is doing up there with that mousy Princess Cassandra either.  I just want mother if she will come, and Mary-Sue.
  Mary-Sue promised to tell me all I need to know after the wedding, before the wedding night.  She had said privately, "I can't let you go to your honeymoon thinking you will be doing nothing more than sleeping beside your husband at night."
  Cassandra had thought just that.  She couldn't imagine what Mary-Sue had to tell her.
***
  Prince Alexander ushered his subjects into the royal castle.
  He had been waiting for this moment.  Not that playing castle isn't fun.
  When an unsupervised Prince hears really bad music drifting up the stairs and nothing else, he has more important things to do.  The music of course being the icing on the cake.  He couldn't have hoped for a better cover up.
  Alexander jumped just shy of braking his bed.  It was better than he had hoped.  At least he was getting something good out of this day.
  Today is the worst day of Alexander's young life.  Most would think that day would be the day Bella disappeared.  Alexander had been but a babe then.  He could not remember her beyond the painting on his Father's wall.  In Alexander's mind, that didn't count.
  Today Princess Cassandra will wed.  She will marry that Lothario and move out of Goth Manor - forever.  Today is the real day he would lose his mother.  Princess Cassandra had been a grown woman when Bella left.  The nurses could only do so much.  A king can be a father, but not a mother.  Cassandra's role blurred between sister and mother.
  Alexander jumped off the bed.  He couldn't call this a good day, but he still didn't want to miss it.  He came downstairs just in time to see the guests arrive.
  There is Lady Pleasant!  She is Cassandra's best lady friend.  Wait, who is this other woman?  She looks familiar...  No.  It can't be.  Father's painting.
  "Lothario!  Is it not enough that you will take my daughter from me today?  My poor piano!"
  "This handsome man is the groom?"
  O God, King Mortimer prayed, you have brought her back to me.  Thank you O God!  Amen.  Amen!
  Mortimer's eyes lowered from the heavens, and settled on the woman standing before him.
  She is the same vision of beauty - wait.  Bella is younger, but not so much younger.  Should she not be nearly as old and gray as I?  Does one stop aging when living with fairies?  Or is she Bella at all?  It is best not to approach her.  This is Cassandra''s day, not mine.  And what if this is not Bella?  More importantly, what if her memories are altered?  I do not want to alarm the poor woman.  If indeed she is Bella, perhaps it would be better not to command her back within these walls.  I can remarry her after I am certain it is she.  Does any part of her love still love me?
  Meanwhile, Lady Pleasant had made her way to the bride, still standing by the scroll box in the kitchen.
  "Oh Mary-Sue," she lamented, "do you think I hurt father, asking mother to come?  He says she won't come....and, well, I think he is hoping-" she stopped short.
  Cassandra couldn't speak.  Her mother, walking in the room smiling...with no recognition on her face.  Do I look so different?  Bella faltered a little.  Then she spied the cider.  She turned away as she picked up a cup.
  "Cassandra!"  Alexander exclaimed.
  "Oh Alexander."
  "That lady -"
  "Shh..."
  "But - Father's painting -"
  "Shh..." she hugged him close and whispered in his ear.  "I am not sure if that is Mother."
  She didn't have the heart to tell him that their mother didn't seem to recognize them.  Why did she come then?  Cassandra thought back to the wording of the scroll.  Bella....not mother or wife...does she not know who she is?  Does she know her name but not her family?  Could she possibly not know she was Queen of Pleasantview Kingdom?
  "I am going to miss you Cassandra."
  Poor thing, is he choking back a sob?
  "Alexander, I will still come see you to visit.  You will come to my new home too."
  "But it won't be the same!" Alexander whisper wailed as only Alexander can do.
  "I love you Alexander.  I am not leaving you.  I am moving out of the manor, not out of your life."
  "Promise?"
  "Promise.  One last hug, I need to put on my wedding gown."
  Now that the time nears, Cassandra could hardly wait.  She rushed upstairs and dressed quickly.  She wasn't eager to have a bride's audience.  Poor Mary-Sue.  Cassandra would have to apologize later.  As for mother, if she knew Cassandra to be her daughter and had nothing more for her than a smile, then she did not deserve this moment with her.
  Cassandra shook away the feeling.  She walked gracefully down the stairs, then waited under the rose arch for her groom.
  Soon I will be Princess Cassandra Lothario.
  Oh dear.  I was supposed to wait for the guests to sit.  And for father to walk me down the aisle.  What kind of princess does that to her king?  Cassandra opened her eyes.  And there he was.
  Don Lothario, his eyes upon hers..
  Don closed his eyes and took a deep breath.  Could he possibly be as nervous as I?
  A smile not unlike Bella's crept over the Princess's face.
  The wedding floated by like a dream.  Then the moment came for the ring.
  "With this ring"
  Don leaned forward, staring at the gold ring.  Cassandra reminded herself that he is a merchant man.
  Don's eyes met hers.  Cassandra almost dropped the ring.  She gently took his hand.
  "I thee wed."
  "Wait."
  What?
  "Don?"
   Cassandra reached for his hand again, this time to reassure him.
  "I can't do this."
  Inside Cassandra crumbled.
  Where can I hide?  There is nowhere to hide.  Behind the gazebo, for just a moment.  I need to compose myself.
  Cassandra struggled to put on a carefree smile.
  I can't do this, I have to get away.
  Cassandra heard footsteps behind her.
  She slowed down, but Don walked past her and kept going.  She watched him walk down the road, away from the wedding, away from her.  Cassandra began to sob openly.
  She was not the only one.
  King Mortimer moved to comfort his daughter, but got no further then the first chair in the row.  He sank upon it.  On this day even the king sat defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment